NormandyNorthern FranceRhinelandArdennesCentral EuropeOfficial Site of the 35th Infantry Division Association
Welcome to the official site of the 35th Infantry Division in Europe during World War IIUnitsGeneral Paul BaadeAwards and DecorationsCasualties
Welcome to the official site of the 35th Infantry Division in Europe during World War II
MIA: the story of Craig Schoeller

Things were a bit stressful on the home front too. Can you imagine how (F-320) Craig Schoeller's parents felt when they received the following two telegrams and letter from the War Department?

You must have images turned on to see this.


And to finish, Craig Schoeller tells the story from his viewpoint:

On Dec. 29th 1944 we attacked from Boulside, Lux., 12 miles S.E. of Bastogne. After a few miles we were hit by heavy 88 fire. Advancing into woods, we were met by small arms fire and mortars. We took a lot of casualties and I helped a medic attend my best friend who was hit in the chest and both legs. I was hit in the right thigh with two pieces of shrapnel. We were pinned down by MG fire, crawled away and went out on patrol. When we returned to our line of defense it was too dark and dangerous to attempt to reach the aid station so I dug my foxhole in the snow covered, frozen, and rocky ground. I dug all night and by dawn I was down about 3 feet - enough to save me from a heavy mortar barrage. When it let up, I started to crawl, dragging my wounded leg. After 150 yards, our captain came along in a jeep and took me back to the aid station, which came under artillery fire.

The pieces of shrapnel wich lodged next to the bone were removed at a field hospital in Longhy, France. From there I went by hospital train to a hospital in Gramercy. When the hospital was cleaned out of walking wounded in late Jan. 1945, I left with a bandage and a limp.

I rejoined Company F. 320th along the Roer river. My leg was so weak that I had difficulty keeping up with the column and gradually drifted to the rear. Then I would get a jeep or truck ride to the head of the column and the process would be repeated. It took a while to recover the strength in my leg.

Of the 180 or so men who left Metz in late Dec. 1944, I could only recognize agbout 40. The rest of the ranks were filled by new replacements and men who returned from wounds received in France.

I was captured a few miles NW of Rheinberg on March 6, 1945. We were riding on tanks, ran into an ambush and were cut off.

After being under fire by our own 105s and 155s, being bombed by British Mosquito bombers on the banks of the Rhine, bombed by P-47s and finally by B-17s in the city of Osnabruck, we arrived in Stalag 11B between Bremen and Hannover.

It was a tough two months and we were happy to be liberated by the British 7th Armored Division, veterans of El Alemein, the "Desert Rats." They broke through the German lines and set up a defense perimiter around the camp until the main army units arrived. We were flown by RCAF C-47s to Brussels, then taken by train to Namur and G.I. hands. It was then to camp Lucky Strike and ship transport home. I was in Fort Bragg training for the invasion of Japan when the war ended.

Craig Schoeller
March 21, 2001


DedicationYearly ReunionMembershipVisitors BookDiscussion ListSite MapContact UsCreditsHome